King Georges Medical University

King Georges Medical University

ESTD : 1905 | TYPE : Government | AFFILIATION : who | RECOGNITION : mci

In 1870 the Maharaja of Vijanagaram first floated the idea of starting a Medical College in Lucknow. But the idea was watered down due to paucity of funds. In 1905 the visit of King-Emperor, George V, then Prince of Wales, inspired the idea of establishing a college to commemorate the occasion. The originator of this fine ideal to commemorate the occasion was late Raja Sir Tassadnq Rasul Khan of Jehangirabad to whom Sir Harcourt Butler wrote on 1st December 1905. "It must ever be a source of pride to you to think that the first suggestion of such a movement came from you absolutely spontaneously."
Col. W Selby
 
On 22nd March 1906, the Secretary to Govt. U.P. wrote to the Registrar, Allahabad University "It is the desire of subscribers to the Foundation of King George's Medical College that this College should be the best in the East and it will be aim of Government that the College shall give to its students the best education possible."
Lt. Col CA Sprawson
 
The project was warmly taken up by all and the Taluqdars and Zamindars of Agra and Oudh gave princely donations. Sir Harcourt Butler himself was largely responsible for rapid maturation of the scheme by the energy in collecting subscriptions and by his talents in organisation.
 
 
A picture of the Prince & Princess of Wales with eminent citizens of Oudh at the Foundation Ceremony of the college.
 
The success of this great project of medical education and relief was already assured when the foundation stone was laid by His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales in 1906, and during his second visit for the Coronation Durbar as King Emperor, His Majesty was pleased to give his consent and to designate the College by his name.
The College was completed and the work of the first medical session was started in October 1911, though the ceremonial opening of the college building by His Honour Sir John Prescot Hewett did not occur until January 27, 1912. The College buildings consisted of a fine Administrative Block, an Anatomical block, a combined Pathological and Physiological block and a Medico-Legal Department. As soon as the College was completed the construction of the Hospital itself was commenced. The work for Out-patient Department was finished by. April 1913 and the main-building a few months later.
The number of beds provided was 232 and besides the main Hospital block there were an Isolation Block and separated Cottage wards. The formal opening of King George's Hospital with the opening of the New Bridge over the river Gomti River opposite the Hospital was performed in January 1914 by His Excellency the Viceroy Lord Hardinge; the Bridge took the place of an ancient bridge built by King Asaf-ud-Daulah in 1780 and which was only demolished as late as 1911-12.
 
The architect of the buildings was Sir Swinton Jacob and the features were designed in the Indo-Saracenic style to be in keeping with ancient and royal buildings of this capital of Oudh and with the Imambara or Tomb of Nawab Asaf-ud-Daulah, which stands immediately besides the College and which dates from 1784.
The total cost of the Hospital and College building was about 30 lakhs of rupees; the Local Government was indebted to the Government of India for a contribution of 10 lakhs towards the cost.
The staff of the College and Hospital began with an irreducible minimum of members, and schemes for expansion were being considered from the start, when the Great War supervened. The first batch of students qualified in 1916, and these also and the next few succeeding batches were for the most part absorbed by military requirement, and only after 1920 could the College be said to be gradually returning to its normal and progressive condition.
 
A change took place in the control of the Medical College and Hospital in 1921 when these institutions were transferred to the new Lucknow University and ceased to be directly under the Government of the United Provinces. Hither-to the College had been affiliated to the Allahabad University. For the first time in 1922 the degrees granted to the successful students was the M.B.B.S. Lucknow instead of the M.B.B.S. Allahabad, as hitherto.
 
Since 1922, the College and Hospital has expanded in several directions. A comprehensive museum of microscopic and macroscopic. Pathology has been created, an X-Ray and Electro-therapeutic Section for Hospital out-patients were opened in 1928. A new building housing the Pharmacological departmental with its laboratories and museum and containing a fine clinical theatre was completed in 1927 at a cost of Rs. 55,000/= ' It 1926, a Provincial Pathology scheme was introduced where by the College Pathology Department was linked up with the various Civil Hospitals throughout the Provinces which were thus enabled to obtain certain diagnostic tests, if they so desired.
 
In the realm of Preventive Medicine advance too has been very considerable. The University decided to give a D.P.H., which was formerly a Diploma which has been granted for some years by the State Board of Medical examination. A fine Provincial Hygiene Institute complete with lecture theatre, museum, laboratories and facilities for research at a cost of Rs. 3, 36,000 built by Government was opened by H.E. Sir Malcolm Hailey, Governor of these Provinces, in December 1928. This institute could train a class of 20 D.P.H. students, in addition to those trained for the examination of the State Board, 75 students for the Sanitary Inspectors Certificates, and a class of Lady Health Visitors.
 
From 1st April 1929, Government transferred the asylum for lepers, which had been endowed by King Nasir-ud-din Hyder, who reigned in Oudh from 1827-1837, to the administration of the Medical College.
The Queen Mary's Hospital for women and children was opened in 1932 when the Govt. completed the building of this Hospital at a cost of Rs. 2, 67,603 and handed over to the University.
In March 1921 the College along with the Hospital was incorporated in the Lucknow University and was being managed as Constituent College by the Executive Council of the University through a Board of Management.
The extension to and revision of the museum of Pathology after a period of 15 years work was completed in October 1937.

The building for a separate T.B. Hospital was completed and handed over to the King George's Hospital on March 15, 1935, which finally got converted into the Tuberculosis Department in 1946. In the immediate post Independence phase the Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery and (ENT) Oto-Rhino Laryangology were established in 1951 and the first M.D. degree in Forensic Medicine in India was awarded. A separate building of Medical Ward with the bed strength of 144 was started in 1952. In 1955 Pathology got a new building. A separate building of the Children Hospital was completed in 1956, the independent Department of Paediatrics started in 1960 and MD Paediatrics in 1962. In 1961, Social and Preventive Medicine Department was born. Departments of Psychiatry, Neurology and Cardiology are the gifts of the seventies. A unit of Plastic Surgery was created in 1962 and by 1966 the Department of Plastic Surgery had started it’s residency program - one of the first in India to do so. Micro-biology, Biochemistry, Ph

Course cum fee details

Sl Course Seats 1st year Fee 2nd To Last year Fee Total Fee Cash Back Lodging Fee Fooding Fee Course Duration

Our Admission Process

Eligibility for Admission

1. Candidates should have passed the qualifying examination equivalent to 10+2 Higher Secondary period of 12 years of study, the last two years of study comprising of Physics, Chemistry and Biology with English.

A candidate for admission to the medical course “must have 60% *marks at +2 level in each of Physics, Chemistry and Biology (or Botany and Zoology taken together) and have an aggregate of 140/200 in these subjects, both at qualifying and competitive examinations and should have passed in English”.

This is as per State and University guidelines. (* 60% in each and 130/ 200 aggregate for BC, 55% in each and 120/200 aggregate for MBC, and 40% in each and 80 /200 aggregate for SC/ST candidates). (BC, MBC, SC / ST are as defined by the TN Government; all rules are subject to change as per State & University guidelines. Please refer to the latest regulations on the Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University website The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University

Example: if a candidate has 72 % in Biology, 66% in Chemistry and 70% in Physics, then the aggregate works out to {72+(66+70)/2} on 200 => {72+68} on 200, i.e. 140/200 and is eligible. However, a candidate with 68% in Biology, 72% in Chemistry and 70 % in Physics will have only {68+(72+70)/2} on 200 => {68+71} on 200, i.e. 139/200 and is not eligible. Candidates should have passed in all subjects of the qualifying examination of the Higher Secondary Certificate Examination (Academic) conducted by the Tamil Nadu State Board or any other equivalent examination in one and the same attempt in the subjects.

2. Candidates should have completed the age of 17 years at the time of admission or should complete the said age on or before 31st December of the said year. Please check the relevant admission bulletin on the CMC website for updated information

Basis of Admission

1. Only NEET (UG) qualified candidates are considered for the selection process, which consists of two steps. A Computer based test (Step-1) consisting of multiple choice questions for Aptitude assessment is conducted in English, on an All India basis .

This is followed by Step-2 for short-listed candidates, which consists of special tests to assess the candidate’s character and aptitude. Interviews also will form part of the assessment at this stage.

During Step-2, the aptitude of the candidate for the healing ministry, willingness to serve in remote mission hospitals and a sense of compassion for the suffering will be assessed.

For Christian students applying under the sponsored category, a written test in Bible Knowledge will be a part of the tests at Vellore. Admission to the programme for the year is subject to being certified medically fit by the Medical board of Christian Medical College, Vellore.

2. The number of candidates for the MBBS course shall be 100 per year, of which not less than 42 shall be women.

3. The final distribution of seats will be as follows: a. All India Open - 16 seats.

(i) One candidate will be selected by the Government of India (separate requests for obtaining prescribed applications are to be addressed to the authorities.

(ii) Twenty percent (3 seats) of the open seats shall be reserved for candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste/Tribes (SC/ST). The candidates belonging to SC/ST should indicate this on the application form and a photocopy of the certificate of proof issued by the Deputy Tahsildar or the District Magistrate MUST be enclosed. The original of the Certificate is required.

b. Sponsored Candidates - 84 seats Up to 84 seats will be reserved for the sponsored candidates (See sponsorship guidelines Section 1.14 for further details)

4. The selection committee will shortlist eligible candidates to attend step-2, which will be conducted only at Vellore.

5. THE DECISION OF THE SELECTION COMMITTEE IS FINAL.

 

Our Placement Details

Fill in the Registration Form and mail it with your non-refudable payment of fee to the address mentioned in the registration form.

Please make the Bank draft as per the details mentioned in the registration form. No form will be accepted without full payment.

Wire Transfer: You can also pay through Wire Transfer. Please contact us for bank details.

To download the registration form, click on the course dates in the

Events & Gallery

King Georges Medical University

  • Address : Shah Mina Rd Chowk Lucknow Uttar Pradesh 226003
  • State : up
  • Country : india
  • Mobile : 8228000081
  • Website : www.imaginecareer.in
  • Management Type : Government
  • Qualifying Exams : NEET

Copyrights © 2019 Imagine Career Solution Pvt Ltd. All rights reserved.

Gospeedy